Jen Dunn, Congregation Council Liaison
The Service Ministry encourages the Emmaus congregation to respond to God’s love by addressing human needs locally, nationally and internationally. We provide opportunities for members to address social issues including hunger, homelessness, and poverty through donating their time or financial resources. Many service opportunities are listed below.
The service ministry also provides support for the four emergency shelters that Emmaus hosts onsite. Three of the shelters house young adults between the ages of 18-24 through a collaboration with Hosea Youth Services. We work with members of Faith Avenue Church, a congregation with whom we share our building, to provide basic care and a “living” room in the church for the residents of these shelters. The shelter on the other side of the church houses a person who has become a part of our community over the last few years and helps take care of the Emmaus grounds.
We are always open to input from the community as to how God might be calling us to serve. Let us know if you have a passion for this area of ministry!
- Eugene Mission—Quilts and coffee collection
- LWR-Lutheran World Relief—Collect items for personal care and health kits, and quilts
- Blood Drives —Scheduled periodically
- Camp Lutherwood—Spring workdays
- First Place Family Shelter —Toilet Paper Challenge
- LWR-Lutheran World Relief—Collect items for school kits
- Thanksgiving Dinner—Pie collection
- Giving Tree in December—Donations to buy gifts for families
- Fair Trade—Coffee, Tea & Chocolate
- FISH (Friends In Service to Humanity)—Food collection
- Hosea Youth Services Dinner,—Prepping and serving food
- God’s Work, Our Hands —Community service projects
- Bread for the World —Letter Writing Advocacy